Social Justice Focus Areas
The four focus areas below are our social justice priorities for action and will frame our work together until such time as the congregation chooses to modify them. The Social Justice Ministry provides opportunities for the congregation to participate in volunteer, educational, stewardship and advocacy activities that are centered in these focus areas.
Volunteer and Stewardship Activities to Support Those in Need
UUCM mantains a commitment to social justice initiatives serving individuals in need within the geographic areas of our church and those addressing broader social justice issues impacting sub-groups of our community and society as a whole. In particular, UUCM will continue to support the following activities:
- Support to Interfaith Outreach and Community Partners (IOCP) initiatives such as their food shelf, sleep out for the homeless, and Adopt-A-Neighborhood
- Support for Habitat for Humanity, Project Homeless Connect, Guest At Your Table, and Standing on the Side of Love
- Emerging issues identified by the UUA or UUSC or the UUCM church community
We envision a UUCM congregation that embraces social justice work as an important part of a spiritual life and dedicates a portion of its resources of time and money to social service, social witness, social education, and social action to improve the conditions of others.
Full Equality for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Persons
UUCM maintains a commitment to work towards full equality and civil rights for LGBT individuals and to ensure that same-sex couples and their families have equal rights and protections under Minnesota and Federal laws
We envision a world of equality where:
- All people are equally valued and respected under the law and in their homes, neighborhoods, workplaces, and communities.
- All members of the LGBT community and their families have equal rights and protections under Minnesota and Federal laws.
- All LGBT individuals, and youth in particular, are free of bullying and discrimination because of their sexual orientation.
A Healthy and Healing Environment
UUCM maintains a commitment to promote reverence for our earth, to preserve and protect it, and to take proactive actions to remedy harms our society has alrady imposed upon the planet.
We envision a society that:
- Takes actions to preserve and protect our natural resources including water, air, soils, native plants and wildlife and works to clean up and restore our ecosystems.
- Reduces our impacts on climate change and global warming.
- Increases our use of clean and renewable sources of energy and encourages innovation in the development of new sources of clean and sustainable energy.
- Reduces our use of non-renewable energy sources and eliminates our use of energy sources that contribute to pollution, global warming, climate change, and harmful impacts on the environment.
- Promotes sustainable food production and increases our use of sustainable, locally produced foods and products that are free of pesticides, hormones and antibiotics.
- Protects ecosystems and life forms that sustain our interdependent web of life.
- Provides supports to emerging nations to establish positive environmental practices.
- Fosters the adoption of earth friendly practices by our children and future generations.
Universal Healthcare for All
UUCM mantains a commitment to work towards universal access to affordable, quality, accessible, full service health care for all the people of the United States.
We envision a society that:
- Ensures that everyone has equal access to affordable universal health.
- Establishes a healthcare system that includes preventive medicine, mental health and behavioral health services, reproductive health services, emphasis on positive health practices and healthy lifestyles, and freedom of choice for all.
- Will experience improved quality of life and fewer illnesses and deaths because of equal access to health care and healthier lifestyles.